A Great Plan: Once a year…pop your hood and look to make sure the battery is properly installed and looks and acts healthy. DON’T WAIT till it tells you first.
Here are some Warning Signs that it’s time to replace your car battery:
- Battery’s Last Replacement Date? If you can’t remember… it’s probably been too long. The average battery life in today’s vehicles is typically 3-5 years, depending on geographic location.
- Bulging or Cracking Battery Case – Get a battery test from your trusted auto mechanic.
- Rotten Egg Smell – indicates an old or overcharged battery. Your battery is probably nearing the end of its functional life.
- Engine Slow to Turn Over – Accessories failing, or performing at reduced capacity are other signs of an aging battery.
- Lights – are they Dim or flickering? If yes, it can mean a weakening battery and/or charging system.